How to Feel Good About Yourself
Beautiful. The word has a lot of weight to it. A lot of baggage as well. To tell someone they’re beautiful is the best of compliments. To be on the receiving end is nothing short of delicious. It’s soothing and fills your belly and heart at the same time. You feel loved. But to be beautiful is so subjective, it's almost laughable. To be beautiful is something that has so little actual value in society but it’s perceived value is so enormous. To be beautiful can’t be learned or bought (or it somewhat can), or grown into. To be beautiful is to be blessed with looks or the body or the exact organization of DNA and expression of genes that society on a whole, finds most pleasing. What a shot in the dark.
But to be beautiful has nothing to do with your value in the world. Lena Dunham says that beauty isn’t a currency that we should be using so much. And I agree. To be beautiful shouldn’t be so touted and revered and made so god-like that that is all we aspire to. What of being smart? Or dextrous? Or a quick-learner? What of being a voracious reader or skilled piano player? What of actual, useful skills? When we put so much pressure on being beautiful, we oftentimes skip over or fail to see past this initial impression.
I’d like the word beautiful to take a back seat. Let’s focus on assigning value to other personal affects... so how do we get over being beautiful and cultivate our inner beauty so that we can feel great about ourselves?
Read on for 7 ways to cultivate inner beauty, the most important kind.
- Value yourself. Feeling good in your body is directly linked to self-confidence. In order to really show up in the world, we must feel our best. As Kate Northrup outlines in her book “Money. A Love Story”, we must value ourselves in order to give as much value as possible. Reminding ourselves of our value will reinforce our self-confidence, our belief in our abilities, our self-worth as a human and create an inner sense of beauty and positivity that diminishes our need for outside input, praise or acknowledgement. We value ourselves and therefore we feel beautiful.
- Take a mirror vacation. That’s it-- simply take a break from the mirror. Designate a period of time in which you don’t look in any mirrors. It’s tough but it’s an opportunity to finally not judge yourself. This can be a great stress reducer and time saver. If I never looked in the mirror, I wouldn’t even have the chance to judge my body. It’s easier to focus on just being the wonderful person that you are, all judgements left at home with that sparkly piece of reflective glass.
- Focus on feeling good. Instead of primping and preening in front of the mirror, focus on what makes you feel good in your body. Take a longer shower. Light the candle you’ve been saving and curl up with a book on your coach. Brush your hair and focus on how good the bristles running over your scalp feel. Simply feel. And strive to feel good.
- Feed and fuel your body right. The most important step. She's the only one you get. And when you feed and take care of her right, you'll have more energy, you'll feel better about yourself and you'll enable yourself to shine like the bright, shiny light that you are.
- Post inspiring quotes and mantras everywhere. Keep your thoughts positive. It's easy to get bogged down in the day-to-day. It's easy to complain. By uplevel-ing your thinking, you'll have a much more enjoyable day. You'll also inspire those around you and your inner beauty will shine!
- Wear things that make you feel beautiful. Start with your underwear. Put on the bras that make you feel sexy. Put on what’s comfortable, flattering and makes you feel good. If you don’t feel good in your clothes, change them. Start with dressing yourself for how you want to show up in the world. Want to feel like a bad ass business woman today, wear an outfit that speaks to that. Want to feel like your most beautiful self, wear the clothes that put a smile on your face. You deserve it.
SMILE. Your optimism and enthusiasm radiate beauty into the world. This simple task will not only make you feel better about yourself and in your body, but it's the EASIEST way to make others feel good too.
You are amazing. Now, I'd love to hear from you. How do you cultivate your inner beauty? How do you feel beautiful? Share in the comments below!
P.S. If you found this to be useful or inspiring, please share with a friend!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.